Wednesday, July 30, 2014

The playing never stops!

OH so much has happened since I last wrote.  The end of my last year was not so fun, so I am going to condense that part into one sentence...I was injured, sick and then injured again and as a result couldn't play for three months. There.  Now onto the good stuff!

A couple of very important things happened that changed the way I played and how I was learning.

I changed music teachers.
I was becoming increasingly frustrated by my first music teacher.  I think as a beginner music teacher she was great but lessons stagnated and I felt like I wasn't being listened to.  I was SO tired of playing nursery rhymes and out of children's books.  If I had to play Largo again I was going to cry.  It really wasn't her fault.  She was young and her first instrument was violin.  She wasn't really up to the task of teaching an adult beginner who already had experience with music.  I would bring pieces in that I wanted to play after searching the internet for music that I enjoyed and these would be set aside to follow a set curriculum of beginner books and...well...nursery rhymes.

Part of the problem here was that this music teacher was inexperienced.  The other part is that she worked for a standard music lesson company with a set curriculum to teach.  This is great if you need the structure and reassurance of curriculum, however at this point, for me, I do not.

I was also playing by myself all the time. The problem with this is that you don't learn to listen for the sound of a note or get to compare your playing to anyone else.  I had no idea if I was doing well or whether I should just give up because I was so crap. I absolutely yearned to play a duet or even just a piece with another cellist.  The other problem with playing music by yourself is that you can play any way you like, at whatever speed you want but part of the great joy of playing music is that feeling of creating something joyous with other people and I craved that.

By the end of my first year of playing I came to the realisation that I could either keep bashing my cello against this wall and lose my love for it, or I could find a new teacher and other people to play with.

Soooooo, I joined an orchestra.  The local community orchestra actually.  This was a benchmark day for me.  I had been working towards this goal, hoping to get there somewhere in 4 or 5 years as they require an AMEB Grade 5 level to join.  One day, I simply wrote them an email explaining my musical background and asking if I could just watch a rehearsal and maybe learn a few of the pieces they were playing.  They wrote back with the next dates of their rehearsals and suggested I bring my cello along and sit in the orchestra with them. So I did.  I showed up. Almost had a panic attack and just as I was about to leave...I was swooped upon, shown where to sit and once I sat down, there was NO escaping.  It was all kinds of wonderful.  Even though I was thoroughly confused and lost at times, I learnt SO much that first practise and all of a sudden I was MOTIVATED again.  The other cellists were so welcoming and really tolerant of my many desperate looks and missed notes.

It turned out that the head of the cello section also teaches.  So I started attending private lessons with her. I cannot explain what a difference it has made. We casually follow a set format to the hour lessons.
1.  Tuning.
2.  Scales first with an emphasis on controlling bowing and listening to sound for pitch and quality.
3.  Then pieces I am learning by myself.  I have been concentrating on Dotzauer's exercises 1 and 2 from his "18 Exercises for cello" which can be found FREE HERE
4.  Pieces that we are currently learning as duets.  I am learning, "The Entertainer" by Scott Joplin and arranged for cello by Kevin Mayhew, "Minuet" by Handel and "Duet No. 2" by Mozart which can be found HERE
5.  Understanding the notes that have been written on technique and practise homework during the lesson.

Christine always has her cello on hand.  Even when I play the solo Dotzauer exercises, there are times when she plays them with me and times when I play by myself.  I cannot stress enough how important it is to play the pieces with someone else.  I control my pitch better, I keep time better, it is a happier experience even when I get things wrong and my playing dissolves into something terrible to the ears.

One of the best things she does is watch me play, then try to work out what I am doing physically so she can SHOW me what I am doing and how to correct it.  It is invaluable learning by doing and seeing.  She ASKS what pieces I might want to learn, gives suggestions based on what I enjoy doing and even when I pick a piece that may be beyond my technical level at this point, always sees it as a great way for me to learn new things, no matter how long it takes, even if we have to learn it one bar at a time.

And she does it all with a great sense of humour and positive attitude.  Every music lesson, I move ahead with my playing and all of these things combined is what I really enjoy about my lessons now.

So that is where I am at in my 2nd year of playing this challenging instrument.  I look back on the journey and realise how far I have come and how I have enjoyed every step of the way so far.  I look forward to so many more and am ever so thankful for the day my partner stopped me outside a music store and said, 

"Hey! Look! There's a cello!"


I had these little beauties tattooed on my wrists in May!





4 comments:

  1. Welcome back! :)

    Two really great steps made, the right tutor is an important thing to have, I've always considered myself pretty lucky in that aspect, considering I am with the same one nearly six years later, sounds like a definite step in the right direction for that aspect. Adult learners have real advantages that a solid tutor will be able to bring out, there's only so much nursery rhymes we can take! ;)

    Playing with an orchestra will help so much, certainly the right move to get involved and it'll really help you to understand how to listen and will bring in your playing by leaps - it's the thing I was most worried about, concern that I'd have to hide away until I was good enough to make the grade and be able to play in any kind of group ensemble. Being around other musicians will have a positive effect, the missed notes will disappear faster than you'd think!

    Good stuff! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad to hear that you're feeling better and are back at it! Having a great teacher who challenges you with meaningful structure is a truly wonderful thing. Congratulations on all counts, and especially on toughing it out with your local orchestra! That can be a very intimidating experience as I well know ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thansk Scott and Ben! I have learnt so much by being in the orchestra. Even though that first moment of just showing up and being worried that as soon as I started to play, the whole orchestra would stop, point their fingers at me and scream, "OUT!", it was such an incredible experience and continues to be wonderful every time. I like that it also forces me to learn quickly, things I may have waited quite a long time to get around to. The whole Tenor clef thing for instance, that Scott mentioned a few posts back, was something I hadn't encountered before.

    Having a teacher that really gets what you are trying to achieve and you mesh well with is so important. I feel like I have improved more over the last 6 months than in the entire year previously. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do not tighten the Fine Tuner screw all the way nor should you loosen the screw entirely as it may cause vibration or fall out. violin app

    ReplyDelete