Thursday, October 10, 2013

What a difference new strings make!

I have been playing lately.  Quite a lot.  All of a sudden it feels like I have come very far with my playing and I just can't get enough of it.  So I decided I would treat myself to new strings.

Yeah...hmmm...

Sooooo...a string is a string right??? 

Wrong...apparently.

This is a GREAT article on different types of strings, what they are made of, what they are used for, etc.  If you are thinking of buying new strings and are confused, or like me, simply had NO clue, you MUST read it!

Guide to Choosing and Using Strings for Violins, Violas and Cellos

After reading that article, and some other reviews of strings, I called my local friendly luthier* and made an appointment to see him.  It was SUCH a good idea, if I do say so myself.  I learnt HEAPS.  I was able to ask questions.  Lots of them.  I always have so many questions and it was really good to talk to someone who was willing to answer them until I was exhausted.  We talked for about an hour or so going over various parts of my cello and seeing what needed to be done where, discussing whether at this stage in my playing I really needed it and going over all the cello product in the store and its limitations and strengths.

Here were some of the highlights of my conversation:

Me (skeptically):  Is it really going to make a difference?
Luthier:  Yes.  The strings are what make the sound.  The body of the instrument is what amplifies it.  Currently you have metal core strings on the instrument.  They are factory strings, made cheaply and sound tinny.  They are made to be replaced.  

M (looking longingly at the beautiful bows):  So if you could only buy ONE thing, which would it be, new strings or a carbon fibre bow?
L:  The strings.  The carbon fibre bows are lighter and stronger, they may allow you to play for longer because of that, but that are basically the same.  When you change the strings, you will change the sound of the instrument.  

M (getting down to business):  What strings do you sell and what would you recommend?
L:  We sell Pirastro's and Dominants and I would recommend the Dominants.  If you talk to ANY cello teacher around this area, they will say they prefer their students to upgrade to them.  They are a synthetic core string and make a really nice sound when on the instrument.  There is no doubt though that the Dominant Strings are more expensive. Cello strings are going to be more expensive than say, violin strings, no matter WHAT you get though, so you need to be prepared for the cost.  

In the end, I went with the Dominants.  I have to say, it WAS expensive.  The Strings and set-up (restringing,etc.) together cost about $300.  The full set of strings alone were about $260.

But...OH MY....

What a difference the strings really make!!!  

The sound is clearer and indeed, less tinny (I thought it was just my terrible playing!!!) and the difference in sound makes a difference to my confidence in PLAYING.  I am still at the stage of tuning them a LOT though.  They are settling.  But I don't mind.  I am learning the sound of each string every time I do it and I just like LISTENING to the sound sometimes.

Now if you will excuse me...I have to go have a conversation with my cello about a man called Beethoven.


* NOTE:  There is a very good student quality music store that also offers lessons and sells instruments and music within a 20-30 minute drive from where I am.  I actually spend quite a bit of time chatting to their staff, who even though I do not take lessons there, are always willing to help and give advice whenever they can.  They were called Play Today Music, but I believe they are going through a name change to Academy of Music.  This is their website... http://www.playtodaymusic.com.au/ If you live in North Brisbane and are a student or the parent of a student, GO SEE THEM!!!!

9 comments:

  1. Hi! Really enjoying reading your blog. I've been wondering about trying a Dominant A string on my cello: I've tried three different A strings (Evah Pirazzi, Kaplan Solutions, Larsen medium) and they all sound too harsh although the Larsen is the best so far. I wondered if a synthetic core string might sound a little sweeter? I'll ask next time I take a trip to the luthier :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have found that the warmth (dullness) vs brightness (harshness) of strings has very much to do with the technique applied to them. You can make manufacture warmth or brightness, but you can't make them sound more resonant, unless your technique or setup is muffling them somehow. I haven't tried Larsen or Dominants yet (though they're both on the list), but I've tried some awful cheap red brand, Helicore, Jargar mediums, & Evah Pirazzi. The Helicores were an odd mix of harsh on the uppers and dull on the lowers, and I had no use for them with early my beginner technique. I might give them a second chance once my technique has matured a little. The Jargars are solid strings, moderately resonant with less complexity or depth, but they can take a larger range of pressure without altering the color or risking a hiss, scratchiness, choking, or skating on the string. Basically, they're great beginner strings. The EP strings are wonderfully resonant and clear sounding, but the increased responsiveness makes it harder to find that sweet spot of a round clear tone. They are definitely worth learning how to play them.

    I also have a theory about resonant strings and breaking in a cello. In order for a cello to open up, you want to play each note on the instrument loudly and with the best intonation you can muster. This will increase the overall depth of the cello by loosening up the material at specific frequencies thus maximizing the amplitude of the overtones for each note played. If you have noticed that certain rarely played chromatic tones (especially the upper position on the C and G strings) seem duller than the rest, then try playing that note loudly and repeatedly for several days (with a tuner of course) in order to open that note up. The more resonant and complex the strings, the faster and more evenly your cello should open. Seems to work on my student cello at least especially when playing in the upper positions on the lower strings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I recently put new string on my rental cello. It really made a fantastic difference. I got Larsen A and D and put Spirocores on the G and C. The G started off sounding horrible. Rough and metallic. My teach said it takes a while to break them in, so I've been putting up with them. After about a month they had mellowed significantly. I'm about 6 weeks into them and they do sound better. Or maybe I just got used to the sound. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes strings (especially the top three) usually sound metallic before they are broken in. That's why I usually don't change them within 2 weeks of a major performance or audition as I have found that that is enough time for me to break them in.

      Delete
  4. Yes, strings do make a big difference. I personally use Larsen Soloist Edition A and D and Spirocore Tungsten G and C. They are wonderful sounding strings - a crisp, clear, bright sound. As far as the bow is concerned, I am most definitely NOT a fan of carbon fiber bows. They are far too light to produce a nice sound without quite a bit more pressure. I much prefer the nice weight of a good quality wood bow. To me, the natural weight of the bow is extremely important when it comes to creating the best sound from my cello... I'm not quite sure why your luthier likes them; however, if you like the way a carbon fiber bow feels to you, then go ahead and get one because everyone's preferences are different, but I would just make sure you try out some wood bows as well and decide which ones you like best.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Guide to Choosing and Using Strings for Violins, Violas and Cellos ... icellobow.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Turning clockwise on the Fine Tuner screw raises the note and makes it sharper. Turning counterclockwise on the Fine Tuner lowers the note and makes it flatter. violin app

    ReplyDelete