Thursday, August 15, 2013

Taking my music outdoors

Yesterday was such a lovely day.  I didn't want to be sitting inside when the kids were outside playing.  I DID however want to play my cello.  So outside I went, with my cello, music and stand, coffee and the kids.  I have a raised back deck so it actually felt a lot like playing on stage, especially with all the neighbours out and about enjoying the good weather.

While I felt a little self conscious at first, (as I am very terrible and usually play indoors in a closed room), I found myself forgetting that there were other people around and relaxing.  I played for about an hour.  I went over the pieces I had set for homework, which are actually starting to come together after some very frustrating days of getting nowhere and feeling like I was playing with bananas for fingers. I played scales and arpeggios. I improvised exercises that forced my fingers to move up, down and across strings with extensions. I even learned a couple of new pieces from Cello Time Runners. It was actually a really joyful and stress free practice session.

With Summer coming up, I think this is something I will do more often.  Taking to the outside with my cello and playing gave me a different mindset, it took away the pressure and reminded me to relax and ENJOY the time I have with my instrument.


No comments:

Post a Comment